Friday, November 14, 2008

Comedian: Ahmed Ahmed.

One word. Hilarious.

No joke the guy was really funny which I suppose is a good thing since he is after all a comedian. Granted it was a bit un-PC given his liking of arabic/muslim jokes often of the "yes we can laugh at ourselves, and you can laugh too" nature. It was a little sad to see how PC the campus is and the oohs and aahs at some of the more un-PC jokes, but still, I of all people understand where they come from. Racial jokes can go a bit too far but they're also excellent fodder for comedians - what's better than a strong accent? Someone who can laugh at their own identity? (But of course, try not to make fun of someone else's identity...that might be labeled easily and readily as very not cool). Ok so in all seriousness part of me opposes this kind of comedy but at the same time, it's funny. I can't deny that. Is there a line we're supposed to be drawing between making cracks at certain stereotypes and degrading ourselves or others? is it wrong to laugh? the first question I'd say I'm sure there is only I don't know where it goes. The second I'd say in most cases not as un social justice like of me that is.

"He's a little weird...he talks to his invisible friend allah five times a day"

"Look she's blushing! She's turning yellow" [about asian girl in the audience]

There was more. It was better than what i can type.

Peace. (Insha'allah).

No comments:

Post a Comment