Monday, November 17, 2008

Prop. 8.

Who would have thought that it would pass? Well, I guess I, being the pessimist that part of me is, had heard and sadly believed that it would pass. Tears. I sincerely wish it hadn't and realize that while (luckily) motions like a law stating that life began at birth were not passed, gay rights and gay marriage were struck down pretty hard at the election a few weeks ago. How depressing. We make a big move by electing a (half) black president (um, why has it taken so long?) and we (again, *finally*) have a female asian-american state senator but still. I wonder how much truth there is that the fact that minorities came out in force contributed greatly to the passing of prop. 8 because statisticly they voted for the measure. so when push comes to shove, can you blame the minorities? Perhaps. But it might be better to poll people on what their religion is because it seems to me like that has a greater influence. nonetheless, to massively abuse my capacities to generalize (always a bad thing, I know), many minorities, Latinos especially, are Catholic or otherwise deeply religiously affiliated in a way detrimental to open-minded-ness about sexuality. so maybe there is a connection to be made. And here's the other ish, because I don't really have an answer to the previous one, the "separation" of church and state. Non-existant if you actually thought about it. First (unrelated) get under god out of the pledge of allegiance. It wasn't there to begin with, it really has no place there now. Second (related) why oh why can the state give out marriages...they should really give out civil unions which are effectively the same as marriages in terms of legal privileges without the religious connotation. I know, I know, not gonna happen because the term marriage in both its nonreligious and religious affiliation are deeply ingrained in our society (like racism...wait did i say that out loud?). End ramble.

p.s. cool anti-prop. 8 shirts available at blacklava.

No comments:

Post a Comment